Department of Communication Scholarships
Available for 2017-2018 Academic Year
There are scholarships available for undergraduate and graduate students. Details on submitting applications are below. Please note application deadline and plan accordingly.
Any SCJ Majors
• Dr. David A. Kopenhaver Scholarship
Undergraduate and Graduate
• Gannett Foundation & National Association for Hispanic Journalists Scholarship (NAHJ members only)
• Janet Chusmir Memorial Scholarship
• Senator Gwen Margolis Scholarship
Public Relations Majors
• William C. Adams Memorial Scholarship
Communication Arts Majors
Kathleen Watson Memorial Scholarship
• The scholarship is open to FIU Communication Arts majors who have received a grade of at least a B in COM 3110 and have completed at least 15 credits within the Communication Arts major. One $500 scholarship will be awarded fall and spring semesters.
The scholarship honors the late Kathleen Watson, a long-time and beloved Communication Arts professor at FIU. Kathleen Watson started at FIU in 1998 as an adjunct faculty member and eventually became a founding member in the Department of Speech Communication. Kathleen was instrumental in developing communication curriculum in the department. As a small gesture, the CommArts Studio has also dedicated a lending library in her name. Deadline: November 12, 2017. To apply: https://fiu.academicworks.com/
Gus Amaya Memorial Scholarship
• One $500 scholarship will be awarded fall and spring semesters. The individual will be selected by the faculty advisor for the Honors Society and the Chair of Communication Arts.
Gus Amaya was a long-time adjunct faculty member in the department. For more than 20 years, he taught communication skills. His background was in business and technical writing, creative writing, presentation skills, and film studies. The scholarship is awarded to deserving Communication Arts majors each semester who have at least a 3.0 overall GPA, and are members of the department’s Honor Society.
Jorge Herrera Memorial Scholarship
• FIU Debate awards the Jorge Herrera Memorial Scholarship twice a year to two students who best represent Jorge Herrera’s team spirit, leadership and hard work. Students will be selected by the debate coach and the chair of the Communication Arts Department in consultation with Jorge Herrera’s family.
In his college days at FIU, Jorge was an avid debater. He credited his debate team experience as having made him a better lawyer. Jorge
loved nothing better than engaging his intellect in a robust debate. He knew the value of taking courses in argumentation and persuasion, and being given the opportunity to compete against top university debate teams across the country.
How to Apply for Scholarships
• Go to https://fiu.academicworks.com/ .
• Sign in with your MyAccounts username and password.
• Complete the general application.
• Select the Opportunities tab. Apply to all appropriate opportunities.
• In addition, AcademicWorks will search our database of awards and recommend scholarships in which the students may be eligible. Some students will be automatically entered into the applicant pool; others may need to answer additional questions first.