Master of Science in Communication- Global Strategic Communications
Combined B.S. & M.S. (4+1) Program
What is 4+1?
The 4+1 program is a dual admission program designed for highly-motivated students who want to begin their graduate degree in Global Strategic Communications (GSC) while still completing their bachelor’s degree. Students who are focused on their career paths and want to get a head start in the competitive communications world are the best candidates for this program.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
All 4+1 program applicants must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking undergraduate program prior to review of supplemental applications for the dual admission program.
- 3.25 FIU GPA
- Declared between 60 and 90 credits (paperwork submitted and processed)
- Cannot go into excess completing coursework or already be in excess (projected to be) before declaring
- Up to 12 credits of graduate level courses can be taken to count towards both undergraduate and graduate requirements
- No more than 6 credits of graduate level courses can be taken in one semester
Coursework and Class Load
Classes for the undergraduate portion of the 4+1 program are offered in-person, face-to-face in the evenings at the Biscayne Bay Campus (Fall/Spring terms only). Upon graduation, students have the option of transferring to the GSC fully online or creative tracks to complete their graduate degree.
- PUR 6005- Theories of Mass Communication
- COM 6318- Applied Research
- PUR 6607- Global Strategic Communication Management
- PUR 6206- Ethics and Social Responsibility
Tuition and Fees
- These courses will be charged at the FIU Graduate School rate.
- Qualifying students can receive financial aid to cover the undergraduate credit hours of their 4+1 enrollment. The difference in cost for the graduate level credits are not covered by traditional financial aid. Students who have scholarship, grant and other funding in their student financials account can apply these funds to the cost of the graduate credit hours.
- Contact FIU One Stop/Office of Financial Aid for more information
- Complete the combined Bachelor’s-Master’s Degree Program one page application and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once the application is approved at the School level, students will submit the department approved/signed application to the Graduate Admissions Department at the FIU One Stop counter located in the Student Academic Support Center (SASC) 126 along with a $30 application fee.
Students interested in learning if the 4 +1 program is right for them should contact their current advisor or email email@example.com for more information.